Thursday, January 28, 2010

Ignored

I hate nothing more than being ignored. I cannot stand it. I exist. I'm valid. I have a mind, a heart, a presence and don't you forget it! :-)

What really bothers me about being ignored, is it's always the people you really want to pay attention to you that don't -- that boss, that friend, that guy.

But what has bugged me for the past 8 years is being ignored daily in Dallas.

I'm from Georgia you see, and I went to school in Florida.  Being a sistah who's "thick in the waist and cute in the face" was never a problem growing up. I was, at times, annoyed by the attention I received from men. Old, young, it didn't matter. This booty was pulling 'em! They'd lose their minds. They had to know me, touch me, be with me. The attention was pretty cool, if not creepy at times, but always constant.

But then I moved to Dallas. Contrary to popular belief, just because Dallas is in the southern portion of the United States, it is NOT the South. I cannot count the number of times I've gone out of the house drop dead gorgeous and not have one man approach, say hello, wave, gesture, shit, write a note. ANYTHING! I'm approachable. I smile (which I recently read black women don't often do and men think we're unapproachable because of that -- who knew!). I'm friendly. I've even approached them. No haps. They shoot me down horribly. It's very disconcerting.

I will never forget one night three years ago. I had a big fundraiser in downtown Dallas. My date (guy who escorts me to the society stuff, but doesn't like me "like that") cancelled on me. Hair done. Makeup professionally styled. Amazing dress. I go to the event, ready for a fun-filled night. I'm laughing, smiling, engaging. Kinda tired, drinking wine, laid back - not in your face.  No chivalry -- a man basically closed a door in my face. Not one guy even complimented me. I ate dinner, danced with my boss and went home. I leave more depressed than I had been in a while.

I got home, took off my earrings looked in the mirror and cried. Hard. I had never seen myself that beautiful -- it was my first professional makeup job after all...and I had no one to share my night with.

My life is funny like that. I live in the public eye, representing a multibillion dollar company. But personally, I feel like I am ignored and alone. It's a strange thing.

But thank God for the Atlanta airport. Every time I come home and land in Hartsfield-Jackson, it's as if somebody alerted the boys. The love me again. I'm revered again. I have proposals and free drinks and personal valets and escorts. I'm no longer annoyed. I'm the hot chick again. I'm the girl everyone wants to know. I exist. I'm valid. I have a mind, a heart a presence and they didn't forget!

That to me is one of the reasons why "there's no place like home." And why, come hell or high water, I'll be back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment